If there is one thing you can count on all year long, it’s sports. In order to participate in basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, swimming, cheerleading, or most other school sports in the state of California, you are required to get a preparticipation physical examination (PPE) (better known as a “sports physical”) to be cleared to play. Contrary to popular belief, your primary care physician isn’t the only one who can perform a sports physical for you.
At Lincoln Urgent Care, sports physicals are a primary offering of our clinic! This blog will go into greater detail about our sports physical process, so you feel confident and comfortable coming to us for all your sports physical needs.
The Steps in Our Sports Physical Process
There are two parts to getting a sports physical at Lincoln Urgent Care. The first is getting a record of your medical history and the second, a physical exam. We recommend coming prepared in advance with your medical history information, so you have sufficient time to think of and fill out the responses. It is important that you don’t guess when it comes to your medical history, as each element (like accurate vaccine history, surgical history, etc.) has relevance to clear you for sports. Our sports physical process is fast, straightforward, and takes the following steps:
Review Medical History:
1. List of allergies (to food and medications)
2. List of all past injuries, hospitalizations, illnesses, or surgeries
3. List of any family history of illness
4. List of current illnesses you have
5. List of any times in the past you may have felt dizzy, fainted, experienced chest pain, or had difficulty breathing
6. Full list of current medications you are taking
Perform Sports Physical Exam:
1. Do a check on your heart, nose, ears, throat, abdomen, and lungs to make sure your vital organs are operating properly
2. Record your height and weight at the time of the physical
3. Measure blood pressure
4. Measure pulse
5. Test vision
6. Answer any additional questions the doctor may have on your physical wellness and get your doctor’s recommendation for next steps
The Importance of Getting a Sports Physical
Sports physicals may seem rather mundane, but they’re extremely important for your health and safety while playing a sport. Getting a sports physical can tell you a lot about your current health situation and improve the chances of predicting whether you will encounter any health issues when physically exerting yourself. The purpose of a sports physical isn’t to stop you from playing your sport, but to make sure you’re safe to play and that your health is in optimal condition to play.
Getting a Sports Physical at Linhowcoln Urgent Care in Lincoln, California
We welcome all patients who are in need of a sports physical at Lincoln Urgent Care. Contact us today to make your appointment or walk in during our operating hours. We are looking forward to your visit!